Sunday, 7 September 2008

Don’t hate the player, hate the game – the Paw ordeal – The Mystery Caller

As I have mentioned before, I have been hanging out with my students a little for the purpose of mutual benefit and friendship. One of them, Paw who is really cute, cheeky and is a year older than me who for some reason has no job, has started to receive strange phone calls from a landline number. The perpetrator claims to be someone’s sister, and the embarrassing thing is, is that whoever it is keeps calling her and asking what her relationship is to me. This first happened last week, I hadn’t even spoken to her for a week or two because have been ill and busy. But whoever the mystery caller is, or indeed whoever the mystery caller is calling on behalf of, knows her by her real name, her Thai name. Now, I might not have pointed this out before, but all Thai people are given or take on a pseudename, which is like a nickname, but it sticks and is partly for Buddhist and also for superstitious reasoning. Now, I don’t even know Paw’s full name name (and she agrees), but these phone calls persist, asking as to her direct relationship to me, saying that I am romantically involved with this persons sister. But the strange thing is, that because they refer to Paw’s full name, they must know her, have access to her number and know me. I’m scared, but also slightly embarrassed as to the situation. I mean, she is totally being cool about it and everything, but it is a little bit unnerving. The number, if we call back is for an agency of some kind, and it is becoming really puzzling, I don’t know what to do! It sounds a little bit like something from Paul Thomas Andersons Punch Drunk Love. There is only one person who I can think of it being, but the number is wrong, and that is one of the secretaries from IH, who asked for my number (she is basically a Thai look alike for Lucy Lu – the actress of Ally Macbeal fame and some poor Hollywood films such as Charlie’s Angels.), but even that doesn’t make sense, as she is a really nice lass and I have been for a few coffees with her. I am eternally baffled, and even more determined to get to the bottom of this. Any suggestions for methods of direct confrontation are welcome.

No comments: